FWE Department guidance and application process for graduate student travel awards.
The Department of Forest and Wildlife Ecology, through the generosity of past and current donors, is able to offer graduate student travels awards. The Forestry Travel Awards are provided through an annual gift to the UW Foundation. The Wildlife Ecology travel awards are from the Henry L Russell Memorial Fund managed by the UW Trust Funds.To apply, please complete this form. (problems logging in? You must be logged into UW Google Apps using your UW netid.)
In order to ensure the equitable distribution and long-term stewardship of our graduate travel awards, the Chair has developed the following guidance.
- Award level targets
- Present at national/international meeting — $500
- Present at in-state conference — $300
- Non-presentation conference travel – not to exceed $300; Chair’s discretion to award and at what amount
- Priority is for presentation of scientific results associated with degree work, but is first come, first serve.
- Target annual spending is $2,500 per program.
- Maximum total award to anyone student is $500 over the course of either an MS or PhD program. That is, if a student pursues an MS and a PhD, they could get $1,000.
These are flexible and dependent on investment returns and demand.
Key contact and responsible party: F&W Ecol. Chair.
Process for updating or changing policy: The Chair developed this guidance to inform her/his decisions related to distribution of the graduate travel awards.
No departmentally approved policy exists, though one could be created.
History of changes: Current guidance was slightly revised when Rickenbach became Chair in 2016.
If you have questions about this guidance, contact Mark Rickenbach.